The Cathedral of Vasto

In the splendid setting of the historical center of Vasto – the ancient Roman Histonium – peeps the Co-Cathedral of St. Joseph.

Also known as the Cathedral of Vasto, the only cathedral dedicated to the husband of Mary and foster father of Jesus Christ.

The origin of Cathedral of Vasto

duomo-di-vasto-facciata This important church dates back to the thirteenth century, when it was dedicated to St. Augustine but soon it took the name it still has.

With the enlargements operated in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, St. Joseph underwent many changes, so much that the current structure is almost completely different from the original (except for a single lancet window with blocks on the north side, ed).

Elevated to cathedral in 1853 by Pope Pius IX (with an apostolic seal), it underwent significant renovations in the end of 800, while in the 80s of last century some artworks of the cloister were destroyed with charges of dynamite.

In 1986 it became Co-Cathedral.

At first glance the facade of the Co-Cathedral immediately  strikes, original portion of the old church, similar to those found in many medieval churches of Abruzzo and Central Italy.

Some curiosities to highlight: on the left of the facade there is an inscription (in Latin) that recalls the brief history of the founding of the medieval church of Santa Margherita.

Until 1905 there was also a coat of arms of  D’Avalos family.

On the portal in Gothic style, built in 1293 by Ruggero De Frajenis, later stolen and never recovered.

The current ceiling rose is the result of the 1928 remake, after the destruction wrought by the pillaging of the Turks and the weather, while the bell tower dates back to 1730.

Inside the Cathedral has a Latin cross map and a neo-Gothic style, successive to the revision of 1853 compared to the original Baroque.

The beautiful stained glass windows and the triptych of San Michele from Valona, dated sixteenth century, stand out.

The organ that dominates the interior of the portal is of new workmanship (2000).

The side arches enclose little chapels where you can admire scenes about the New Testament.

Leave a Reply